10 Ways to Practice Self-Love
Self-love is truly the best love. Most of us have a responsibility of love to many others so it's important to remember that we can't pour from an empty cup. Self-love is not selfish love. It's necessary if we want to give the best that we have to those around us and the other important areas of our life.
If self-love is something that you want to practice more, here are a few ways to get into it.
1. Write yourself a love letter - Take my word and try this. It feels so damn good. Talk about what you love about your body, your ideas, your spirit and your wins in life. Speak well of yourself. It’s not a bad idea to post these letters around your room or in a place you reference often so that they serve as a constant reminder of how amazing and special you are, indeed.
2. Meditate - Mediation by definition is the practice of thinking deeply or focusing one's mind for a period of time. This is a powerful yet gentle act that when done daily, can make a positive difference in one view of themselves and their ability to handle obstacles.
3. Make a list of the things you are grateful for and love - I find that once I start to count my blessings, it's hard to stop. It becomes a challenge to complain and I realize that there is no such thing as a small blessing.
4. Create a vision board - Once you've jotted down what you are already thankful for, spend time thinking about the goals you’d like to achieve in the future. Be kind to yourself when goal-setting. Know that anything is possible with both patience and diligence.
5. Take a morning walk - If the weather allows, taking a walk in the in the morning can be a great way to clear your mind and start your day on a calm note. There’s just something about the crisp, dewy air that uplifts and inspires positivity.
6. Prepare a healthy meal - If you enjoy cooking, cook a healthy meal that’s good for your body and soul.
7. Listen to soothing music - Soothing can be defined differently for everyone. However, I think most people can agree that music can be a great tool for calming the mind, providing inspiration and promoting self love. There’s music out there to fulfill any emotional need you may have so tap into your spirit and lean into what you need musically.
8. Watch a movie that appeals to your loving emotions - Nothing is better than a movie that makes you laugh hysterically or cry your eyes out! There’s nothing wrong with watching a film that just feels good to you. It can be an old favorite or one you’ve been dying to see. Whatever the case, grab some popcorn and wine (Olivia Pope style) and have at it!
9. Re-read your favorite book - No matter if it's a childhood favorite or one that brings your into deep thought, books are a special way to loved yourself. You are learning and growing as you entertain, educate, and/or enlighten yourself.
10. Take a warm bath - It's love. Add lavender essential oil and epsom salt to take it up a notch!